This foolproof recipe makes about 12 salmon cakes for a family supper. You can also use this recipe to make about 40 mini salmon cakes for small bites to serve with drinks for an informal party.
- 3/4 lb filleted and skinned salmon, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp Kerrygold Butter
- 2–3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (you can chop the small stalks too)
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1–2 tsp Tabasco sauce or 1 deseeded and chopped chili pepper (optional for children)
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
Combine all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a food processor and blend together. Taste for seasoning adding salt, pepper, and more lemon juice or Tabasco, if necessary. If you do not have a food processor, chop up the salmon as finely as possible and mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. Shape into 3-inch patties or 1 1/2-inch diameter patties for mini salmon cakes. Pan-fry in 3–4 tablespoons olive oil on a medium heat for 3–4 minutes on each side (2-3 minutes for mini cakes), or until golden. Serve on warm plates.
This is also delicious with a Mediterranean twist. Omit the Tabasco or chili pepper, and substitute the same amount of basil for the cilantro in the salmon cakes and serve with mayonnaise and salsa.