Mary Burn's Butterific Irish Scones
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- Sift together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt into large bowl
- Using fingertips or pastry blender, rub or cut butter into flour mixture to form coarse crumbs
- Add raisins
- Whisk together milk and 1 egg
- Make a well in the flour mixture; pour in milk mixture. Using fork, stir just until soft, moist dough is formed
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; gently knead 1 or 2 times to incorporate loose pieces
- of dough. (Do not over-knead)
- Pat dough to 1 1/2-inch thickness.
- Using well-floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter or bottom of a glass, cut out
- about 6 rounds.
- Place rounds on lightly-buttered baking sheet. Brush
- tops with additional beaten egg; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake until golden brown and delicious, about 14 to 17 minutes, rotating pan
- halfway through baking for more even browning
- Serve warm with Kerrygold™ Irish Butter and jam
Makes about 6 servings (depending on hunger level and capacity for
Note: These scones are more muffin-like in texture; dough will be moist
and wet, which ensures a tender texture.
View blog post